Thursday, February 28, 2008

I seem to have solved my Linux lock-up issue, which turned out to not be a Linux issue at all. As the story goes, the acrylic adhesive used on copper tape goes bad over time. This resulted in the grounding strips in my laptop no longer doing what they should. As a result, static electricity would build up at some point on the system board and *poof* all of my unsaved work would vanish.

I bought a new roll of conductive copper tape (36 yards!) and used about 5-7 inches of it to replace the grounding strips. I went ahead and created some new ones, as well. As such, my computer has not locked up at all since. Maybe this computer will last me a full ten years after all!

Now, what to do with all this shiny copper tape...

1 comment:

Jewell Ertman said...

how long have you had that computer now?