Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'd like to call this post "How 1and1 Shot From the Top of My List to the Bottom", but I think I'll stick with a simpler, more raw "Why 1and1 Sucks."

I have an account with the hosting provider 1and1 communications. That account contains two packages. Both packages are billed using the same credit card information.

Some time in December of 2007, my credit card was no longer able to physically scan through machines. I stopped by the bank and requested a new one. The old one was immediately canceled. When the new one arrived in the mail several days later, I scrambled to update accounts online which depended upon it.

I missed one account: 1and1. My credit card was declined that billing cycle, and I received an e-mail notice about it. I immediately logged into my 1and1 account and updated my credit card information, assuring myself that every website doing business online has a system in place to retry credit card information.

Not the case with 1and1. After several months of only one of my packages working properly and the other registering as "locked", I finally gave 1and1 a call.

My account had been sent to collections. In December. They assured me it wasn't a limitation of their system, but rather that I must not have been able to foot the bill. I pointed out that my other package worked just dandy, so they were very much mistaken.

1and1 customer service is an oxymoron. There simply is no such thing. Don't bother with 1and1, get your hosting elsewhere. Heck, even people in India are considerate, and probably less likely to send an account to collections just because a credit card failed to process on one single attempt.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I recently switched to 1and1 (hey - on your recommendation!). So far I'm happy, but I'll have to remember your experience if my credit card changes. That's unbelievable.

I have a recommendation of my own: If you're switching hosting companies, DO NOT switch to US2.net (formerly Stargate, Inc.). That company is ridiculous. I would have to start my own blog just to discuss how terrible that company is. By the time I was fed up with that company, it still took me several months and countless emails and phone calls just to cancel my service.

Thanks for opening old wounds, Phil.

Are you canceling your 1and1 service? Going with GoDaddy or somebody else?